Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-4th teen girl pleads guilty in "swarming" killing of homeless man in Toronto -FundTrack
Charles H. Sloan-4th teen girl pleads guilty in "swarming" killing of homeless man in Toronto
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 19:34:57
A fourth teenage girl accused in the fatal stabbing of a Toronto homeless man two years ago has pleaded guilty. The Charles H. Sloangirl, who was 14 at the time of the incident, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the death of 59-year-old Kenneth Lee.
Police have alleged that Lee, who was living in the city's shelter system, died after he was stabbed by a group of eight teenage girls in December 2022. At the time, police referred to the attack as a "swarming."
Eight girls, all of them between the ages of 13 and 16, were arrested in the hours that followed.
The girls were charged with second-degree murder and a judge recently committed six of them to stand trial on that charge, with the other two to be tried on the lesser charge of manslaughter.
Three girls have previously pleaded guilty in the case – two to manslaughter and one to assault causing bodily harm and assault with a weapon.
All the girls who have pleaded guilty are due to appear in court over the next few months for sentencing submissions.
A hearing is scheduled next week for those heading to trial.
Police have said they believed the teens congregated after meeting on social media and are from homes across the Greater Toronto Area. They said three had previous interactions with police, while five others did not. Canadian authorities can't identify them because they are minors.
After the attack, Detective Sgt. Terry Browne of the Toronto Police Service Homicide Squad said authorities think the girls were trying to take a bottle of alcohol from the man.
"I've been in policing for almost 35 years and you think you've seen it all," Browne said in an interview with The Associated Press. "Anyone who isn't shocked with hearing something like this has clearly just thrown in the towel and just said that anything is possible in this world. Eight young girls and most under the age of 16. If this isn't alarming and shocking to everyone, then we're all in trouble quite frankly."
According to statistics released by the Toronto Police Service, the city reported 71 homicides in 2022, including 17 stabbing deaths. Last year, the city reported 73 homicides, including 24 stabbing deaths.
- In:
- Toronto
- Manslaughter
veryGood! (5612)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- New USPS address change policy customers should know about
- Madonna and Britney Spears: It's them against the world
- Maine city councilor's son died trying to stop mass shooting suspect with a butcher knife, father says
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- The economy surged 4.9% in the third quarter. But is a recession still looming?
- You need to know these four Diamondbacks for the 2023 World Series
- Michigan man starts shaking after winning $313,197 from state lottery game
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- NASA works to recover 4.5-billion-year-old asteroid sample from seven-year mission
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- A popular Kobe Bryant mural was ordered to be removed. Here's how the community saved it.
- How Kendall Jenner and Hailey Bieber Toasted to Kylie Jenner's New Fashion Line Khy
- U2's free Zoo Station exhibit in Las Vegas recalls Zoo TV tour, offers 'something different'
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo on Chris 'Mad Dog' Russo retiring: 'A deal's a deal'
- Police find note, divers to search river; live updates of search for Maine suspect
- NYC protesters demand Israeli cease-fire, at least 200 detained after filling Grand Central station
Recommendation
Could your smelly farts help science?
At least 21 dead in Kazakhstan coal mine fire
Mass arrests target LGBTQ+ people in Nigeria while abuses against them are ignored, activists say
The economy surged 4.9% in the third quarter. But is a recession still looming?
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Q&A: This scientist developed a soap that could help fight skin cancer. He's 14.
Body of missing Milwaukee boy, 5, found in dumpster. Police say two people are in custody
Ice rinks and Kit Kats: After Tree of Life shooting, Pittsburgh forging interfaith bonds